for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”
25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD." Lamentations 3:22-26
Isn't the grace of God an amazing thing? I am so thankful for quiet evenings, a warm and comforting homemade dinner, a good night's sleep, and a little bit of extra grace in the morning with the chance to make my coffee before Lucas* woke up this morning.
So, before I get totally off the subject of why yesterday was hard, I feel the need to explain a little bit about Lucas' attitude recently. In addition to the fact that he's got yet another cold (which didn't surprise me too much, considering we've jumped back into our routine of church nursery and mornings at the gym), my little guy has taken the approach of being Mr. Negative. For instance, a conversation could go like this:
Me: Lucas, it's time for lunch!
L: No, Mama, it's not time for lunch.
Me: You need to eat something, sweet pea. What would you like? Yogurt, cheese and turkey, or some apple?
L: I don't like apple, Mama. I don't like yogurt. (Total falsehood, by the way.)
Me: Would you like turkey and cheese?
L: I don't want a big bite. I only take a little bite.
For someone like myself who is quite a positive person, who used to cherish the company of a VERY positive toddler this Mr. Negative Opposite guy is not my favorite person to be around. I know he's just trying to assert himself and also learn how far he can go, and, in some cases, what the truth really is. I mean, I could say, "Lucas, look at the beautiful blue sky!" Even just a week ago, he would have said, "I see it, Mama! By the clouds, by the trees!" But this week it would be either that the sky is not beautiful or the sky is not blue. Sheesh...it's a not-so-nice phase, let's just say. I'm sure it'll be over soon...at least I pray it is.
Anyway, he does seem to be in a slightly better mood today, and after a relaxed evening at home, I'm feeling more rested and ready to take on Mr. Contrary.
In other news, Daniel's got some podium time at work today and tomorrow for videotaping his conducting to make his audition tape. His dad is planning to come for a visit in two weeks, so Daniel's goal is to have it finished and ready to turn in before that long weekend. We're enjoying nights of no class for him and the more relaxed feel our life has these days. I do still need to really work on cleaning the house, but I'm just about caught up with outside errands, so I'll hope to do that this weekend. There's something about getting things done outside the house that frees me to focus on what's going on inside the house. I look forward to having things organized and really well cleaned. We've still got left over things from the craft sale in the baby's crib that need to be taken care of, and we've got a pile of things downstairs that we're hoping to sell in a garage sale soon. I told Daniel last night that I'd really prefer just to throw it away or give it to Goodwill instead of trying to organize yet one more thing, but he reminded me that some of the things in our pile are nice and we could get some money for doing things as a family, even if it's not enough to really help with the adoption. Surely I can't argue with that, knowing how I've been craving some family activity time.
Well, it's been a nice, quiet, slow morning, but now I need to get going. Lucas is asking for chips. I think maybe his breakfast of yogurt wasn't quite enough... *grin*
*I've decided to stop using the anonymous nicknames I chose when I started this new blog over the summer. The reasons aren't really important, but I would like to very respectfully ask that if you do use our names in a comment or a link from your blog that (if you know it) you keep our last name off the blogosphere. Thanks!
It's the Terrible Twos!!! We're there too!! it's no fun.
ReplyDeleteLeah, I thought of Sophie's "I don't LIKE that one!" when I was reading this. Hang in there Melissa!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, 2.25-2.75 was more than a little challenging. I feel for you. (and by the way, I think your blog reads more nicely with your real names - glad you made the change). Miss you, and remembering that fun January weekend we spent last year 'bout this time!
ReplyDeleteThat age can be so. hard. It always amazes me that my attitude in handling behavior can make such a big difference. It sounds to me like you are doing a fantastic job in that department and it can't be easy! Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteFun times - I remember them fondly. Now, with a 13 year old, just imagine the conversations we have. Sometimes, they are very similar! Yikes! Just found your blog and love it! My husband and I brought a sweet little boy home through the miracle of adoption in Sept. Good luck on your journey!
ReplyDeleteOhh we so went through this with Anna. It's very annoying! Sometimes I look at her and say, "can't you just be agreeable?" I hate to say it but this testing is going to continue as you've read on my blog!
ReplyDeleteOpps that last post was really from Heather!
ReplyDelete