Friday, October 22, 2010

The training continues

In my last post, I revealed that I've begun training for a 10k.  I'm using the training guide provided at Hal Higdon's website.  I started Monday with the assigned "Stretch & Strengthen" by doing a Pilates class at the YMCA and then walking several laps on the indoor track, along with stretching.  (Note to self: do not shoot yourself in the foot by taking an advanced Pilates class when you haven't done it in a while and you have to run 2.5 miles the following day.  Ouch.)  Tuesday, I was assigned to run 2.5 miles.  Can I possibly describe how much this intimidated me?  Frankly, I haven't ever really thought of myself as a runner, despite the fact that I've liked being involved in group sports and being active.  Even back in elementary school when we had to do the fitness tests and had to run a mile, I was always at the slower end.  I'd get in the top-most percentiles for everything else and then the run was way down low in the 40 or 50th percentile. 

You may be wondering, then why I ever chose to train for a 10k in the first place.  Honestly, I think part of it was a little bit of insanity.  But mostly, it was to challenge myself in the extreme.  Recently, I finished reading the Bible in 90 days and I was so proud of that accomplishment and thankful to God for his faithfulness in providing the time and motivation I needed to finish.  But, honestly, I haven't had too many other things in my life that I've started, despite the challenge of them, and completed.  I don't know how others view me, but I often feel like I'm the one who comes up with a new idea and then gives up on it.  I feel like my friends and family roll their eyes at my enthusiasm to try something new, knowing that I'll never complete it.  So, I didn't want to tell too many people about the 90 days Bible challenge, and I didn't talk about it too much during the challenge, because part of me was still afraid that I'd find some reason not to push through.  Praise the Lord, He didn't let me give up on this one.  That's why I felt so victorious and proud...and humbled and grateful when I was able to say that I DID IT!  It's also why I knew it wasn't of my own strength, because that hasn't ever proven to be too great in the past. 

So, when my friend Amy said that part of her Healthy Living Initiative was going to be to train for a 10k in order to have an actual goal, that resonated with me.  I've been wanting to "be healthier" for...um...a while.  But I love the idea of having a goal...and having it seem a little bit out-of-reach of my own strength.  So, we decided to train "together," despite being a few hours apart.  We'll run our race on the same day, too.  I looked at the calendar, and I think the race should be the weekend of December 11/12, if I did the math right. 

Anyway, back to my 2.5 mile run on Tuesday.  Given all of the above, I was nervous.  I didn't think my body could do it.  I mean, I know I can easily walk 2.5 miles, but run?  Yikes.  So, I started running.  Very slowly.  I didn't have any idea how long I'd be able to keep up my pace, but I just started going.  (I brought my kitchen timer so that I could mark each lap - I just pushed the minute button each time I went around, instead of trying to use my fingers or remember from lap to lap how long I"d been running.  After all, with 15 laps per mile on our indoor track, I had to do 38.  That's a lot to keep track of!)  I ran 10...and then 13...and realized that I'd run almost the whole first mile without stopping or slowing down.  Again, I was going SLOWLY, but I was going.  Yes.  So I pushed myself to do the next two laps and finished the first mile.  I was hurting at that point.  I  had cramps in my sides and my legs.  So I decided to walk the next half mile, so that I could try to run the last one again.   I walked 8 more laps and started running again.  I ran another 12 or 13 laps, but just couldn't make it the last two, so I walked those, too.  But I did 2.5 miles.  It took me about 35 minutes.  (I told you I was going slowly!)

Wednesday, I was supposed to do 30 minutes of cross training, but I sincerely did not have one free minute on Wednesday, so I did not have any time to train.  However, given the fact that I did not stop going all day, I figured that was at least better than sitting on the couch or something. 

Yesterday, I was supposed to do 2 miles and strengthening exercises.  I did my 2 miles (still a little bit sore from the beginning of the week) in about 25 minutes, which puts me right know at about a 12 or 12.5 minute mile.  That needs to improve, but I have faith it will.  But, I only walked 5 of the 30 laps, which I felt was an improvement.  I ran the first 15 again, walked the next five, and then ran the final 10.    I also was assigned to do strength training.  I followed the exercises on Hal Higdon's website

And, today, oh-the-joy is my day of REST.  Today I am assigned no exercises.  In over a week, this is our first morning at home.  No child care for Busy Bee (though he really is enjoying it now - "Mama, I have FUN at the GYM!").  Coffee and blogging for me while he very happily gets to watch a little PBS on "TV-TV." 

Tomorrow I'll be back to the gym, though.  Cross training and strengthening tomorrow (I think?) and then Sunday?  A 3 mile run.  Mmm...my stomach turns a little bit just thinking about it.  I'm hopeful that we can work out a way for Sweets to run with me on Sundays, which are always the longest run day.  He's a much better runner than I, and I think he'll be able to encourage me along.  Again, I'm not concerned that I can cover that distance with my feet...just how much of it I'll actually be able to run.  I'll be praying for strength and endurance...and I know God can provide that for me.  He's done it before and He can do it again! 




6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so intense! I'm still struggling through the first week of C25K I can't imagine training for a 10k! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! I've got my sights set on a 5k in December! It's kicking my butt, but I'm loving every minute of it.

    So glad I found you on milspouse bloghop... can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing that God is giving you strength you didn't know you had!! I am stopping by from the Round Up...it's nice to meet you! I am so thankful when I can find other Christian Military Wives to connect with, especially in the bloggie world =) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Melissa I am so proud of you!! Wow, you have motivated me, I need to get back in the gym! I wish I were a long distance runner! Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I don't know how others view me, but I often feel like I'm the one who comes up with a new idea and then gives up on it."

    Hellooooooo ... adoption?! You are PERSISTENT my friend.

    And you are so awesome too! You are rocking this training. What's great about training like this is that while the end result seems out of reach, by December it WON'T be. (And don't worry about speed - we're focusing on endurance here!)

    You're the best. I can't wait to run 3.5 with you next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go!!! You can do it!

    One word of caution-- be careful doing all your running on an indoor track. The reason is that with the constant turns in the same direction, it puts strain on your knees and increases your risk of knee injury. I know the treadmill is tough but it would be safer for you if you're doing a lot of consistent running (which you are). (I almost ended up with a knee injury once from an indoor track.)

    ReplyDelete