Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Non-stop action

Well, things have been a little crazy over here.  I feel like I haven't even seen Sweets for a week or so.  Thankfully, we've got a few things coming up that should allow us a little bit of time to reconnect.  More on that later. 

I wanted to write a little update on a situation that I realize I haven't really blogged about, which is my health.  About a month ago now, I started coughing.  I haven't really had any other symptoms - no fever, no cold, nothing much to report, except this cough...that turned into a really bad, wheezing, yucky cough that wouldn't go away.  Finally, about two weeks ago, I was seen at the doctor, but not by my primary care doc.  This guy...well, he wasn't as bad as one that I went to when we were stationed at Ft. Jackson, but he didn't seem to pay too much attention to me.  I scheduled my follow up appointment with my primary care doctor, who is fantastic.  She always listens to me, remembers me from visit to visit, and makes sure to clearly understand what's going on. 

Anyway, she gave me two (back-to-back) nebulizer breathing treatments (I was really jittery after that!), and prescribed a BUNCH of medicine for me to take.   I started all those meds last week Thursday.  (I saw her late Wednesday afternoon.)  That very day, I started to have some stomach pains, but I tried to push them aside. 

By Saturday, there was no more "pushing aside" the pain.  It was way intense.  Sweets was out of town for the morning playing paintball with some friends for a birthday celebration for one of them, but I knew I needed to be seen at the Urgent Care Clinic.  I called my very good friend, Nickie, and she and her husband totally stepped up and said they'd watch Busy Bee as long as I needed help.  That was about 10:00 AM.

Well, it wasn't until 4:00 PM that I left the UCC, having undergone urine and blood testing, having an IV, getting a shot of morphine, and having an abdominal CT scan.  And, after all of that, everything "major" was ruled out and it was determined that my pain was simply a reaction to one of the medicines I'd been prescribed.  The doctor who saw me, though, said that it was important for me to continue taking all of the medicine I'd been prescribed, so she prescribed me yet another medicine (Nexium) to take, as well, to help my stomach deal with the meds. 

It was a long, stressful day to be sure.  We were supposed to spend the afternoon with my sister and my niece, who ended up getting Busy Bee from Nickie for me and watching him until Sweets could come pick me up (I was in no shape to drive after that morphine) and we could meet up with them.  We did enjoy a few hours together, but I'm thankful that we have plans to see my sister later this week for my brother-in-law's promotion ceremony.  It'll be good to see her again when I'm not all drugged up.  So...aside from everything else going on, I've been working through this cough mess.  Needless to say, I'm sick of it.  I'm sick of taking all these medicines.  I'm sick of not having a diagnosis.  And I'm sick of having this cough!  A month is long enough!



4 comments:

  1. Ohh no! I hope you are feeling better soon. Sounds scary, but yay to friends and family who can step up and take care of BB. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I hope you get some answers soon. The not-knowing the the part I hate the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you are going through all of that. I know how frustrating (and scary) that can be. You will stay in our thoughts and prayers for a fast and painless recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling better! It took me a while to get over here and comment, but you've been on my mind. It is so scary to have something like that going on.

    ReplyDelete