*On Sunday we returned home from a 10 trip up North. We saw (in sequential order): my sister, brother-in-law, and niece; my best friend, her husband and son; her parents (aka my "other" parents); Sarah & John and the twins; MY PARENTS!!!: MY BROTHER!!!; more of my sister and niece (who joined the party at my parents house; my friend, Jill(from my Sweets-is-at-BCT-so-I'm-going-to-live-with-my-parents job); more of my best friend and her family. That 10 days was PACKED with people I love. It was pretty fantastic.
*The weather in Maine was picture perfect. Mid 70s and low 80s, with no humidity and crystal clear blue skies. I love Maine in the summer. It is gorgeous. Sweets and I commented that "someday" when we "have more money" (ha!) we should buy a summer home in Maine. That would be the life.
*My brother, J, took Sweets and I on a canoe/kayak adventure on the Stillwater River. It was the best day we had there. J's enthusiasm to take us out in his canoe (and his truck) made it more exciting, but it was just a great experience to be out on the water, loving the landscape and the climate, spending time talking with the brother I don't talk to often (he works nights, so our schedules don't really match up...though now that I know more about his schedule, I"ll be able to figure out more phone calls) and see even less, was super great. He's a really cool guy.
*My mom gave me a few sewing lessons and let me take home her old sewing machine! I can't wait to get a little area set up and practice some more. I'm going to try to make some "snuggles" (that's what Busy Bee calls the receiving blankets he still sleeps with) for Baby 2. (ha ha...side note...when I typed "Baby 2" I hit the "1" key, too, so it came out "Baby 12." Oh, my goodness. I don't think we'll ever have THAT many!!) :)
*I have the greatest best friend in the world. We were pen pals the summer before our 8th grade year, when my family was getting ready to move to the church her family went to. (My dad was going to become the pastor there, so she was assigned to write me letters, so I'd "know" someone when we got there.) We've been close since then. It's amazing to see how, as we're growing and maturing, our friendship is actually getting closer. We're very much in the same stage of life, mindset, and worldview, and spending time with her is such a treat. She and her family were so welcoming to us, too. How many people do you know that would willingly give up their master suite (and guest room with queen bed to an almost-two-year-old) to sleep on an air mattress? That's hospitality!
*This week is the last summer concert for Sweets. I'm praying it goes off without a hitch. Our best friends in the unit are moving right after the concert (well, a few days later, but you know what I mean), and it would very much complicate things for them to have to have a rain date. Also, Sweets starts his final semester of his Master's program next week, and I'd very much like to have one chapter closed before we start the next chapter.
*Sweets starts his FINAL SEMESTER of his Masters next week!!! (I realize I just said this, but it's a huge deal to me!!) Our philosophy for his getting this degree was that it would be complicated and we'd not have very much time together while he was a student, but that it was important for him to get it, so we'd just push through. Well, the summer break has been great, but I can very clearly remember what it's like to have him going to school. I'm thrilled that this is the last semester. He is, too. His graduation is set for December 18th. He told me he "might not" walk. I told him he definitely would walk. If nothing else, I feel like I'VE earned those pictures of him walking across the stage to get his diploma. : )
*Busy Bee is talking SO MUCH. I can't believe that he's going to be two in a few weeks! He's recently figured out the correct pronunciation for several words, including "I love you," "Snuggles," "grandma," "grandpa," and his own name. I can't believe how well he's speaking. And I can't believe it's almost his birthday. Yikes.
*Finally, I just want to say that I've gotten behind in my 90 day Bible reading challenge. If you think of it, pray for me that I'll be able to get back on track. It's important to me to finish on time, but I just couldn't (didn't?) keep up during our travels. I've got a lot to read in the next week (it's my goal to be caught up by the first of September), and I don't have a lot of free time to do it.
There's a lot more to say - it's been far to long since I've blogged - but now it's time to get a move on. Hopefully, I'll be back soon!
Hooray for Daniel's last semester! And FYI, if you ever get a summer home in Maine, I think I will require my own living quarters attached to the house. Gotta get me some quality time with the nephlings, after all. ;)
ReplyDeleteAw, no more Gummy and Guppy?
ReplyDelete