This is my very first official guest post ever in the history of the world. :) So I'm pretty excited about it.
And I was thinking about what to write, it hit me, just how unique our blogger community really is. And I wanted to talk about why I started blogging in the first place.
I really had no reason to start a blog. Over a year and a half ago, when I started my personal blog, the only blogs I knew of were news/political blogs, travel blogs and mommy blogs. I already had a political commentary blog, but that was primarily for local issues. We didn't really travel that much - just our annual pilgrimage to Disney World. And we don't have children. But, for some reason, I felt strongly compelled to start a blog.
So, I started a blog about...nothing. I started by following a few ladies who I went to church with (mommy blogs) and some of the MegaBlogs. From fishing through the blogs they followed, I found adoption blogs. So. Many. Adoption blogs. Which was great, because adoption is definitely in our future. I learned a lot from those blogs, yes about the logistics of adoption, but also about faith, about family and about love and commitment. I love my adoption blogs.
From those blogs, I found the milwife blogs. (I know the PC term is milspouse, but let's be honest, I've yet to see a mil-husband blog.) About that time, the Army became a discussion in our household. I had already begun following a few milwife blogs, but after SoldierMan started talking seriously about the Army, I sought them out in earnest. I crave information and I fear the unknown. The milwife blogs solved both those problems for me.
Since then, my BBs have been so wonderful a presence in my life that words cannot describe. From first answering all my newb Army questions to becoming real friends (albeit virtual), I can't imagine my life now without my BBs.
Recently, we have been waiting for our first duty station assignment. And I mean waiting - as in for over 5 months. Even when I was at my most anxious, I was still able to take comfort in the fact that, almost anywhere we would be sent, I would have a friend there thanks to the blogging world. Isn't that a great feeling?
In fact, that's exactly what happened. I first started following Jessica's blog about the time SoldierMan left for Basic (boot camp). She and her husband were in the process of moving to Oklahoma for his training. While they were there, we were able to have lunch (my first BB meetup!). We were all very new to the Army experience (though they were several months ahead of us!) and we were able to share our hopes and dreams, and when SoldierMan and I left, we discovered we had found some great friends. So imagine how delighted we are that our first duty station is also their first duty station! :) We feel like we have come full circle.
I chalk it all up to Providence - that inexplicable urge to start a new venture online, blogging. The way I have connected and met some of the most amazing women. I'd list some off here for you but I'm too afraid to leave someone out. :) But I can clearly see the hand of God guiding my relationships and connections in this new military life, specially though blogging.
Of course, there will always be trolls and oversensitive drama queens determined to be offended at any mention of branch or rank. But those people exist in real life, too. And in real life, you can't simply stop following someone or delete a rude comment like you can in blogging. :) Yes, I do. Life is too short to deal with other people's drama. So I don't.
Blogging changed my life. How has it changed yours?
Thanks for your post, JG! I love blogging...and I love my blogging buddies! : )
What a cool post! I am glad I found the Milspouse blogging community when I did...it has been so wonderful :)
ReplyDelete