After having breakfast together, Daniel and Lucas both got out their guitars (we're thinking one of us has to learn to play the guitar for youth group meetings, and since we have one, we figured we might as well start trying!) and played together while I took a quick shower. Then we went outside. Granted, it was already very warm yesterday morning, but it was the perfect time for us to get out Lucas' little pool for the first time of the season. He happily played and "swam" in the water while Daniel and I got a few good games of ladder ball in. (We bought a new set for our youth group cook out on Sunday evening.) I think it was the first time that Lucas was happily engaged in doing something by himself (other than sleeping) while Daniel and I did something completely different. We had a lot of fun, despite the heat. We took a break and sat with Lucas and dipped our feet in the pool while he just generally made us laugh and smile with the good time he was having. We grilled hot dogs for lunch. Daniel and I watched (finally) watched most of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 during nap time.
When Lucas woke up, Daniel went outside to do one small yard work job. Then it was my turn to run. That's right. I went running in 95 degree weather. At 4:30 in the afternoon. It was brutal. My training schedule had me set to do an easy run for 30-40 minutes, so I figured I'd run on base a course that would be a 5k (3.2 miles). I got about a mile and a quarter in, and I had to walk. It was just too hot. I ran about another half mile in the course of the 3.2, but not much more than that. I was slightly disappointed that I wasn't able to run more, but I also didn't feel too bad. It was, after all, 95 degrees! I'm just thankful we'll be continuing to keep our YMCA membership and I'll be able to run inside during the hottest months around here.
Anyway, when I got back from running, I took a very cold shower to try and cool down my body temperature (which was only mildly successful) before making supper. We did one of our own creations for dinner. We have a George Foreman grill, which we never really liked to use for things like hamburgers, but we've found it makes a pretty good panini press. So, we used fresh turkey from the deli, cheddar cheese, and thinly sliced tomatoes and red onions, on a nice bread. I brush the outside of the bread lightly with olive oil, garlic and freshly ground pepper (I let it sit together for a while before brushing it on, too). Add some carrots, grapes, and leftover potato chips from our youth group shindig and you've got an easy, low-heat, yummy supper.
After we ate, we went back out to "the pool" and enjoyed the evening outside as the sun was setting and things were starting to cool off. We had so much time together, in a very contented, low key way, and it was just a simply beautiful day. I kept thinking, "So THIS is what it's like to have your husband have a day off work and not have to do homework or prepare for an audition. Huh. I like it."
I have more to share about running and life, but right now my Lucas needs some attention and some breakfast, so that'll have to wait for another time.
That sounds perfect!!!! We had a great weekend too but there was so much more running around involved... a relaxing day at home sounds wonderful!! (And so do those turkey sandwiches... yum!!!) Did you like Harry Potter? I just love that last one.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great weekend :)
Sounds like the perfect day! I think Don has worked every Memorial Day since we've been in, too. So glad you finally got to enjoy one!
ReplyDeleteScott was off yesterday too! It was glorious!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day! How cute that the two of them had a jam session together.
ReplyDeleteI've heard about ladder ball, but haven't played it yet...