Monday, May 16, 2011

Keepin' on

I just wanted to say thanks to all those that have continued to offer encouragement to me regarding the running situation.  Saturday was just a horrible, horrible run day.  I was afraid to do my run today, which was supposed to be 30-40 minutes.  Daniel decided he'd like to go to the beach, so we hopped in the car and he and Lucas played while I ran up and down the beach.  There's a .75 mile stretch of public beach near our house and there's a brick/cement walkway all along it, so that's what I ran on.  I used Daniel's Garmin watch (LOVE THAT!) to keep my pace and I did three miles, consistently at my 12 minute pace and I felt good.  Maybe it was the change of scenery that I needed, maybe it was the ocean waves and wind blowing at me, maybe it was just a different day.  Whatever it was, I'm happy to say that this run was much, much better than Saturday, and I'm feeling a good amount of motivation and contentment to stick with it again.  Thanks for all the love!


2 comments:

  1. Hey, just catching up around here! I am sorry I didn't get the chance to comment on your last post in a more timely way. Just sending you some encouragement today anyway! I'm so glad today was a better running day, I definitely have days where running is easier or harder both physically and mentally.

    And as an aside, I also have some trouble at times with tight calves. I don't think there's anything wrong with stopping just for a moment to stretch them out. My only other suggestion is to really take some time afterwards to stretch them out well, which I'm sure you're doing already.

    Just one more thing, my favorite "mantra" of sorts is to tell myself that the first 2 miles are always the hardest. Sometimes if I can just get over that initial mental hurdle (the "holy cow, I'm supposed to run 4/5/6 more miles??) the rest of the run goes much more smoothly.

    Keep it up, sounds like you're doing great! I'm supposed to be running a half this fall, wanna join? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Ellen, I read the post but am just now getting around to commenting.

    Getting back on the running horse was a big decision for me. Part of it is peer pressure - I'm the only woman I know here not growing a child who isn't some kind of competitive athlete. Part of it is just because I know I need to do SOMETHING. And since I had already started C25K before, and bought the app ;) I figured I should just go back to that.

    Thanks for being transparent and encouraging to me personally. It really means more than you know.

    ReplyDelete