Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A new challenge

I am so excited!  I have been wanting to get back into running and training in a more consistent and conscientious way.  And now I have the reason!  My birthday is in eight weeks.  Eight weeks is the perfect time to train for another 10K race.  The audition is over, we've got a few answers (I'll write another post about that soon), and we've got a little while to wait for anything major to happen.  So, I feel better about just buckling down again and focusing on my health and fitness.  I am super excited that on my actual birthday, I'll be running my next race!  (Yes, I have already registered!  It's ON!) It's actually a trail race - which I know (theoretically, though not experientially) is more difficult, but I love being out in nature and I'm excited to think about running in that environment, as opposed to a road race.  I have already decided that I'm going to search out trail runs to do for some of my Saturday longer training runs, so I can get some more experience just figuring out my step and how to make it all work. 

Either way, today I ran my first training run.  It was on the indoor track at the gym, but I did 2.5 miles.  My total time was somewhere between 25 and 30 minutes (silly me for forgetting to check the clock when I started my first lap!), but closer to the 25 end, I think.  I'm feeling really good right now, very positive, and I've committed this to the Lord. 

I took a few pictures of myself today, but I think I'm going to have Daniel take some better ones for "Before" pictures.  Last race, I didn't lose much (any?) weight, but I know my body changed some, so I want to see, if I'm really consistent and training the way I should be (and given one possibly significant medical difference in me this time) what will happen to my weight and my body.  I'm reminding myself that the number on the scale isn't important and my overall health is...but I would love to see the number go down, if I'm honest with myself.  I mean, who doesn't want to see a concrete result after working that hard!?  I'm thinking of doing another post of my before pictures and my current weight.  Brave, I know.  I think, though, that will help me keep accountable and then it'll be even more fun as I train to continue to take pictures and weigh myself (I pray!) and see the changes that are happening. 

A big part of this for me is being the healthiest I can be as a way to glorify God and honor the gift of health and a healthy body he's given me.  I have been letting myself slide is so many ways with all the stress we've been under lately, but no more.  God is big enough to take care of the big things and he's big enough to take care of the small things.  He's big enough to take care of me and he's big enough to take care of our family.  My commitment is to more than myself - it's to God.  That I will glorify him by living a healthy life of integrity.  That I work hard in all I do as a way to glorify him.  My love for him is that important...and it should show from the outside.    I'm committing this to the Lord and I pray he gives me the strength, motivation, and continued health to reach this goal (and the longer-term goals I have) for his glory alone.  Here we go!!



3 comments:

  1. go go go!

    And I think even if you don't see a difference in the scale (though I hope you will) you will see a big difference in how toned you are, and how good you feel! Remember? I am feeling it too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also Melissa you need to start drinking green smoothies and eating overnight oats.

    ReplyDelete