Thursday, we got a call from the car repair shop where we'd brought Daniel's car that there were transmission issues with it (it's a '97 Accord...not a new car, by any means) that wouldn't be worth it to fix. So, on top not getting the new job, we now have to find a way to pay for a new (used!) car. Yuck, yuck, yuck. We have been saving for the adoption, so we don't have that much put aside for a car, so if we want to have one worth having we'll have to have some kind of payment, however small. We just hate to have to do that. It's been a while since we've had a car payment...but, you do what you have to do, right?
Well, Thursday also brought a last minute visit from Daniel's dad! It was great to see him and have something good to look forward to, so soon after our not-so-fun news. He took us out for dinner to our favorite Mexican restaurant and Daniel got his favorite burrito, which made him feel better. What can I say? We're very comforted by food these days.
Friday was a crazy-busy day, with last minute errands and preparation for a wedding that we attended on Saturday, along with a shower that was going on at our church. I also decided to finally put away Lucas' pacifiers. (No judgment, please. I know he's two and a half. But at least I didn't let him talk me out of it.) So, I had a not-so-fun afternoon helping him through the first hour and a half in his bed without his precious "na-nas." He really wasn't defiant at all...just pretty pathetic. At one point, I was in his room comforting him (again), and after he calmed down he said, "Mama, I will not cry or scream or whine any more. I'm a big boy." This was followed by two minutes of being very strong, then a few whimpers, and a few more minutes of wailing before he finally fell asleep exhausted. My precious boy. He's doing better and better every time, but he's a bit short on sleep for sure.
Saturday we went to the wedding of one of my oldest friends! She looked beautiful, the wedding was super fun, and we were so glad to have a great day of celebration with dear, dear friends after a very stressful week. The wedding was in Charlottesville and we both agreed that we will definitely be adding Charlottesville to our list of "Someday places" for when, a very long time from now, the Army does not decide where we live anymore.
Sunday and yesterday were filled with usual things and catching up in a lot of different ways around here. We're starting to feel a little bit better day by day, but now there's a lot to do to move in another direction. We also still have the stress of continuing to wait for the adoption (no news on that front, but we do have a meeting at Bethany tonight). Our social worker was sick last week, too, so I'm sure she's backed up and hasn't been in the office. We did decide to put our profile online and that stuff was submitted yesterday, so we're hopeful to see it up in the next few days...and we're hopeful it will help move things along!
I know this was a more newsy post and not as entertaining, but we're just taking one step at a time over here these days.
One day at a time is really all you can do. :)
ReplyDeleteI look forward to sitting in the back row at church with you someday!
Sounds like the paci battle went better at your house than at mine. Glad you had a slightly better experience!
ReplyDeleteYeah that's right, CVille is on your list of your some-day places! the top of your list!
ReplyDelete