Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A second opinion

Oh, I'm just so excited and thankful!

We recently took Levi to his 18 month well baby check (delayed from the move).  His new PCM (Primary Care Manager, i.e. doctor, or, in our case, nurse practitioner) noticed his mouth-breathing, congestion, and runny nose, which are pretty consistent and chronic conditions for him.  When we started speech therapy for him in Colorado, the Speech Pathologist recommended that we get an ENT referral to check his adenoids and tonsils, because those being enlarged can often cause the symptoms our boy has had, pretty much from infancy.  That can also impact speech development.  I have noticed several times that Levi is hesitant (or flat out refuses) to say words that require a nasal component to their production.  For instance, "mama" is something he only says on "good" breathing days, and is still a reluctantly said word even on those days. 

We got the ENT referral as suggested in Colorado, but the ENT doctor barely looked at Levi and didn't offer any suggestions, but denied that his congestion could have anything to do with his speech delays.  Daniel did take Levi to that appointment, so I don't know much else, but from what he said, the doctor barely even glanced at Levi. 

Cut back to his 18 month appointment and his new PCM offered to give us a new referral to an ENT here,  and not to make any mention that he'd been seen before.  I took her up on the offer, because I figured that it wouldn't hurt and Levi might actually be given a better examination. 

We went to that appointment yesterday.  As soon as the doctor walked in, I was hopeful, because he was instantly noting Levi's mouth-breathing and congestion.  He was asking a lot of questions, and was attentive to my answers.  He was almost sure that Levi's adenoids were enlarged, but sent us for x-rays to confirm. 

(Side note here:  The appointment was in Round Rock, which is about an hour south of here, outside of Austin.  I had all three kids with me.  We ended up at the doc's office, and then two separate offices for the x-rays, since the wait was so long at one that they called another location to get us in there.  It was a long morning/afternoon.  The kids were so over it by the time we got done.  I am so thankful that it turned out to be well worth our time.)

We got a call from the ENT's office this morning that the x-rays came back and confirmed that Levi's adenoids and tonsils are quite enlarged.  The have prescribed some nasal spray to try first, but if that doesn't help in about a week's time, we'll be scheduled for a minor procedure to have his adenoids removed.  I think I remember the doctor saying that they prefer not to take the tonsils out for such a young patient because it is more involved, but if that's what it comes to, we'll do what we need to for Levi's long term comfort and ability to make greater strides on his speech development.

In some ways, it seems a little odd to be rejoicing at a diagnosis of something that may require surgery for our son, but, truly I am so thankful to have a direction to go to help him.  Not to mention the fact that I am feeling blessed that the procedure would be minor, but could potentially provide Levi with better sleep (poor little guy snores a lot), improve his speech exponentially, and give him overall better quality of life. 

Hooray for a second opinion!



2 comments:

  1. Yay for answers! That can bring such peace even if you know it means some minor surgery. I hope it brings some comfort to little Levi and helps to improve other areas. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little mother you are, Melissa. This is such an example of how we as mothers know our children and when a second opinion is so appropriate. It is such a joy to read your postings. Please know that we at New Hope Church will continue to keep you all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete