Monday, February 17, 2014

Recovery

Well, it's been a busy couple of weeks.  Since my last post, we confirmed that Levi would, in fact, require surgery to have his adenoid removed.  That was done this morning and he's recovering at home now. 

We had to drive down to Austin this morning, and left at 4:30.  We arrived and got settled, spoke with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and signed several papers.  Levi was in a good mood, for having been woken up at 4:20.  He was unsure, though, when I had to hand him off to the nurse to carry him back to the surgery room.

I waited for about 40 minutes and the doctor came out to speak with me.  Surgery went very well, recovery shouldn't be bad at all, he was pleased, and Levi was fine.  I wasn't really expecting him to say anything else, but I felt so much relief when I actually heard him say those words. 

After another wait, a nurse called me back to the recovery area and I heard Levi before I saw him.  The poor thing was VERY unhappy, flailing around and thrashing, trying to get the monitors and IV off/out.  He was so uncomfortable, I think, and very disoriented, between the drugs and the pain and the new place without a familiar face.  He didn't calm down much upon seeing me, but I was able to at least hold him still until his oxygen levels were such that he could be taken off all of the monitors and have the iv taken out. 

As soon as the nurse pulled out the IV and took off the other band-aids and nodes and medical tape, he calmed down, picked up his juice cup (which had been pushed away decidedly during the protestation), burrowed into my shoulder, and promptly fell asleep.

He slept for the hour on the way home in the car, and seems to be much perked up since then, having had two cups of juice, a piece of cinnamon bread, and a viewing of Pooh. 

So, now we just take it easy for the next couple of days, and he should be good to go.  I'm anxious to see how things improve for him, now that the procedure is done.  Mostly, though, I'm just thankful that it's over, he's fine, and we can put it behind us. 


 

2 comments:

  1. So glad it went well! I'm sure it's scary and nerve-wracking even with the most minor of surgeries. Praying his other issues clear up now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be such a relief. It's so hard to see our babies in pain! Prayers for his continued recovery :)

    ReplyDelete