In light of that, I started thinking about what the future might look like should either candidate come out on top. I'm going to do a slight disclaimer here, before we move on, and clarify that I AM in favor of voting, carrying out our civic duty and, in some cases, our moral obligation to support the candidate we believe is best for our country. I am not, however, in any way under the impression that our world will revolve or cease to revolve around one man's victory or defeat next week. Want to know why?
I've been doing some Bible reading (thanks to Bible Gateway; I don't know a better way to do a search for a word, phrase, or theme in the Bible than that website) and I'd love to share with you what I've found.
First, I think this is a pretty clear and concise passage about why I'm not worried about the outcome of the election.
The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength;
indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.
Your throne was established long ago; you are from all eternity. Psalm 93:1-2
No matter who comes out "on top" in this election, the truth is that even the President of the United States (along with all other presidents, prime ministers, kings, dictators, governors, and governments) is still under the Lordship of Jehovah God. What better comfort can we have at a time when people are wringing their hands and overcome with anxiety about which man will have a certain job for four years? I find no better comfort than that.
What actually started me thinking about writing a post like this, though, was the other day seeing a bumper sticker for President Obama's campaign. It simply said, "HOPE." It actually almost made me cry to see it, because I ache for those who actually put their hope in a man - ANY man - other than Jesus Christ himself. And that got me thinking about other words that are used so frequently these days. I invite you to take a minute, quiet your heart, and think about what I found.
HOPE:
Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:5
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD. Psalm 31:24
We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love be with us, Lord, even as we put our hope in you. Psalm 33:20-22
But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD,
I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me. Micah 7:7
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him,
so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God,
who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 1 Timothy 6:17
PROMISE:
Not one of all the LORD’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled. Joshua 21:45
I will listen to what God the LORD says;
he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants—
but let them not turn to folly. Psalm 85:8
Your promises have been thoroughly tested, and your servant loves them. Psalm 119:140
"Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” Luke 1:45
For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ.
And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God. 2 Corinthians 1:20
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23
CHANGE:
[God] changes times and seasons; he deposes kings and raises up others.
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. Daniel 2:21
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17
BELIEVE:
“You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me." Isaiah 43:10
Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.”
And his servant was healed at that moment. Matthew 8:13
“The time has come,” [Jesus] said. “The kingdom of God has come near.
Repent and believe the good news!” Mark 1:15
Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name,
he gave the right to become children of God - children born not of natural descent,
nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. John 1:12-13
They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—
you and your household.” Acts 16:31
And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God,
which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word,
but
as it actually is, the word of God,
which is indeed at work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13
And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ,
and to love one another as he commanded us. 1 John 3:23
In one sense, yes, it is important to us who wins the election. But for those of us who hold on to the hope of salvation through Jesus Christ and the sovereignty of God, we can trust that no matter who wins the election, we will be provided for by the One who truly provides everything we need - no matter the state of social security or health care or the economy. Take heart!
(All Bible verses are quoted from the New International Version, but you can read them in just about any other version you're interested in - or in another language - at Bible Gateway's website.)
Oh Melissa...VERY well written. I will be "sharing" on my page today. Blessings, Sister.
ReplyDeleteOh girl...I can not even tell you how much I LOVE this post. I am going to link people to it this week because it is just so good!
ReplyDelete