You, my precious boy, are three today! I can't believe how fast three years have gone by. When I brought you home from the hospital three years ago, I wasn't sure how we'd get through three days, much less three years. But here we are, all sleeping and eating and functioning just like everyone promised we would be.
Lucas, I simply adore you. You are the sunshine of my days. When we were visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Maine over the summer, Grandpa commented to me that you weren't at all in the "terrible twos" phase, but it was definitely the "tiring, talkative twos." You, indeed, have so much energy and so much to talk about. You couldn't get enough of the company we had this weekend to help you celebrate your birthday. Uncle Paul, Aunt Mel, Uncle Dave, Aunt Serenity, Uncle Glen, Auntie Christina, Kiera, and the Lathams were all packed in our house on this rainy weekend and you wouldn't have had it any other way. The only thing that would have made your birthday better would have been your grandpas and grandmas here with us, too. You LOVE people. I'm amazed sometimes at how you seem to be even more of an extrovert than I am! It takes you a minute to warm up to someone you don't know, but once you're past that, you don't stop talking and sharing and wanting to show things and BE with people. I love that about you, even if you wear me out sometimes.
You are such a smart boy. I love seeing all of the things you're learning - the sounds letters make, how to hit your t-ball, how to ride a bike; and the way you navigate effortlessly on the iPod still astounds me. You're loving cars, trucks, trains, puzzles, books, and we're starting to really be excited about playing games together. Great Gram gave you Candy Land for your birthday and Grandpa and Grandma gave you Curious George Matching Game. I have a feeling we'll spend a lot of afternoons before or after nap time playing one or both of those.
You have such a sweet and tender heart. You don't like it when I cry about missing the baby or wanting the baby to come home and you usually offer me one of your Snuggles to help me feel better. You love going to the gym to play in the child care room, but you always have to know who is going to take "good good care" of you before you get there. Yesterday, we had your birthday breakfast early (pancakes and bacon, just like you asked for), and you prayed before we ate. You thanked God for the day and the yummy food and for Aunt Serenity and Uncle Dave being with us, and then, just like I do, you asked God to "please, please please, bring our baby home soon." I knew you meant it, too, and it made me cry, because your heart is so like mine. Your heart is one of my very favorite things about you.
I am so proud to be your Mama, and I thank God every day for the precious gift you are. This morning in church some of the younger children made Profession of Faith and with you on my lap I prayed and prayed and prayed that you will soon come to know Jesus and love him even more than I do. I prayed that you will love Jesus more than home and family and safety and comfort and anything else. It will be hard for my sinful heart to see that prayer be answered with a "yes," but I pray it will anyway. I will pray it for you always. I love you, Sweet Potato Pumpkin Pie. You're my favorite Lucas.
Love,
Mama
Happy Birthday Sweet Lucas! I can't believe you're 3. What a fun age...be sweet to your Mama and stay plenty busy as I know you will. I can't wait to see what a wonderful big brother you will be.
ReplyDelete