Monday, August 22, 2011

Zumba kicks my butt

That's right.  I've been doing Zumba for about 4 weeks now, and it KICKS my butt!  It's a great work out for our cross training days and I'm having a lot of fun doing it, but I come home so wiped out!  I guess that's what you get if you burn 700 calories in an hour, though. 

Since I really have no adoption update (we get a bi-monthly update email this week or next), I'll update on my training.  We are down to 12 weeks to go before the 10 mile race that my friend, Raquel, and I are running.  We've been very consistent with our work outs for the last four weeks.  (I did one week without her, before she officially jumped on the training band wagon.)  We've got Tues/Thurs/Saturday run days, Mon/Wed cross training days, Friday off, and Sunday is Stretch and Strengthen (AKA, for me, easy yoga).  I'm doing better and better with my running, especially with my girl Raquel to push me along.  Last week, we did our short run - 2 miles - in 22:00 flat.   That's the furthest I've gone in that pace.  I know an 11 minute mile isn't very fast, but I've only been running for about a year, and I don't think I really pushed myself to my full potential before I had a running buddy.  But now I know that I'm stronger than I thought, so I'm not letting myself get away with wimping out. 

Tomorrow is a 3 mile day.  Can we do it in 33:00???


4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! You are going to kick butt in this race. You'll have to show us a few zumba moves when you visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited!
    I had no idea that you are a runner that just started last year like me!!

    And and 11/mile is amazing to me!!

    And I agree about not pushing myself. In one of my runs the other day I just start moving my legs out further and it felt like flying! It was so fun. I couldn't maintain it for very long yet, but... that's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get back into Zumba! The place where it's held is literally 3 blocks from my house...I really have no excuse not to go!! But sometimes I feel like my instructor could push us a lot harder. There's no way we're burning 700 calories! But good for you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, an 11 min. mile. I'm still training at 15. (Don't laugh.) I am planning on really stepping up my cross-training this week. I'd go to the Zumba class on post, but I saw it once (the treadmills are right outside the room). For one thing, I'm pretty sure my booty won't shake that way ;) And for another, the old men hang out in the back. Creepy. :p

    ReplyDelete