Friday, March 18, 2011

Cookies!

DISCLAIMER:  I was unaware that many people are taking a blogging day of silence today in honor of the people in Japan that were lost and those that are dealing the the tragedy there.  Please do not take the fact that I have blogged today - twice no less - as any disrespect for the people of Japan.  I have been and continue to pray for them. 

Lucas and I made cookies this morning!  Do you want to see?  (So, forgive the fact that post-baking I decided to go Pioneer Woman on this post.  I don't have any prep or mixing pictures.  But if you need help mixing up a batch of simple sugar cookies, I doubt my few pictures would help.  Give me a call instead and I'll walk you through it.  *grin*)  Here's a picture guide to making Frosted Sugar Cookies.  The recipe's at the end of the post.  (Amy:  these await you!)

Take out the cookies when they're barely golden, if you don't like them crunchy.

Let them cool.  Do you know this trick of cooling cookies?  My mom taught it to me.  It allows the cookies to cool and gets a little bit of the grease of the bottom of them from the butter/shortening.  And it reuses paper grocery bags.
Lest you think my house was perfectly clean when I baked these cookies, you can feel better about yourself knowing that I did not have time to bake from scratch AND clean the house.  : )
While they cool, you can step outside to see how nice it is!  Did you know baking is best done on less humid days?
If you are two-and-a-half, you can play with your trucks outside while the cookies cool.
If you are the mom, you can wash the dishes while the cookies cool, so that you can make the frosting.
Next, find your super-cute sous chef to help.
Time to make the frosting!  Add the powdered sugar to the bowl, along with your butter and vanilla.

Mix in your milk.  Add a teeny bit more if you want, for consistency.

Have your sous chef choose your food coloring.

Let your sous chef have a taste, to make sure the consistency and color are just right.
Enjoy his smiles as he tells you, "It's GOOD!"
Apply frosting and sprinkles to cooled cookies.
Eat your lunch as fast as you can.
Try not to be too distracted by the cookie staring you in the face, waiting for you to finish your lunch.
Smile fondly at your cookie before you devour it.
Dig in.
Love every bite.
Give one to your husband, too.
It will make him very happy.
Sugar Cookies

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
1 egg
1 cup sugar (plus a little for the tops)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. milk

All ingredients should be at room temperature. Preheat oven to 375.

Stir together flour, soda, and salt; set aside.

Cream together butter, Crisco, sugar, and vanilla.  Add egg; mix until fluffy.  Add milk.  Stir in dry ingredients until mixture is smooth. 

Drop by teaspoonful onto cookie sheet.  Flatten with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Cool and frost, if desired.



Frosting

1/3 cup softened butter or margarine
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp.vanilla
about 2 Tbsp. milk. 

Blend butter and sugar.  Add vanilla, mix.  Add milk and beat until smooth.  Add more milk if necessary.  Add food coloring, if desired. 




6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to eat these. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lu, bring some home for me.

    Also I don't really get the day of silence kind of thing. I feel like it would be more effective for bloggers to talk about what they are doing for Japan and increase awareness of how people can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute post! I will definitely be using that frosting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I LOVE that picture of Lucas licking the frosting. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That frosting looks AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete