Sunday, February 6, 2011
Jumping back in
I am quite embarrassed to say that I have been so bad about going to the gym these last several weeks. But I have not forgotten my 10K, nor have I forgotten how proud I was of myself when I was doing all the work to train for it. My training program was from Hal Higdon's website; I used the Novice 10K training program. It's an eight week program. I have eight weeks of acute stress (waiting for the audition, encouraging my husband, allowing my husband all the flexibility he needs to do whatever he needs to do to prepare, and waiting some more for something that directly impacts my life but in which I have no direct action) staring me in the face. So, I decided to jump back in and get back to running. I'm going to do the 10K training program all over again (with my modifications in schedule to allow for Sunday as my day off). I liked the distance of the 10K. It was long enough to feel like I'd really accomplished something even in my shorter training runs, but not so daunting for such a novice runner. I'm ready. I need the motivation. (Amy, do you want to run with me again?) I need the exercise. I need the stress relief. I need to run. So, tomorrow morning I'll be at the gym at 8:00 AM with my iPod (which is already set and ready to go with some music, along with the alternative - Little Women on audiobook) ready for my first run of 2.5 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Of course I want to run with you again! I'm doing 2 miles + weight training at the gym this afternoon. I might do like you and just repeat the whole training program to see if I can increase speed. I really enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteway to go, Melissa!
ReplyDeleteIt can be hard to get back on that proverbial horse, good for you! I'm trying to get myself back in the groove as well, I always struggle over the winter... something about that treadmill.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love Hal Higdon's plans, too. I'm building my running "base" up again and I'll use his half marathon plan this summer. yahoo!
I LOVE running! Unfortunately, I pulled my hamstring during training for a half marathon almost 2 years ago, and I'm finally back into the swing of thigns. I need to sign up for a 10k for motivation! I'm much more motivated if I pay money to run a race. :) Good luck with your training!
ReplyDelete