As I've stated before, Sweets is taking this challenge with me. We, by God's grace alone, are right on track with our reading! In three weeks we've read all of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and 1 Samuel. Yesterday's reading had us go to almost the end of the book of 1 Samuel, but we finished the book anyway. So, we're not finished with today's reading, but as of yesterday we were slightly ahead of schedule, and as of today we're right on track.
But, really, where am I? I'm in a very good place, honestly. I LOVE that I'm reading the Bible every day. I have never been very consistent with a Bible reading/studying time, and the fact that we've just carved out the time, even if it's not the same time every day is so exciting, encouraging, and uplifting to me. We CAN do this!
I know that I'm better about things when there's some kind of pressure/deadline to meet. Like, when company is coming, it's the perfect motivation to get the house extra clean. Or when it's someone's birthday, it's the perfect motivation to finally get that gift I've been thinking would be perfect for them. Or, when there's a weekly check-in...and my husband every day asking me if I've finished reading yet...it's the perfect motivation to not even question if I'll do my reading that day, but simply when I'll be fitting it in. So, this week, I'm feeling very positive about the next 70-ish days.
And I'm seeing stories I've known forever in a whole new light. Which is pretty exciting. What's my favorite thing so far? Well, very simply, that the Bible is the account of God's involvement in the lives of people, and not a bunch of stories about various peoples' encounters with God. I love how I'm seeing the stories of Moses and Joshua on to Saul and now David as God proving Himself to the peoples of the world, including the descendants of Abraham, instead of the battles of the Israelites that God might or might not have shown up at, depending on how they were acting. It's clear to me now that God was there at every battle, but He responds with help when the Israelites ask for it. When they don't, however, God allows them to do things on their own, in their own way, and ALWAYS to their own detriment. Pretty heavy stuff, and very convicting to me personally. I know there are things every day that happen that I don't seek God's wisdom on. Some things may not have eternal ramifications, like which shirt I choose to wear, but there are lots of things every day that I could ask for help with that I don't. Like in raising Busy Bee. Or in respecting Sweets. Or in loving my friends and neighbors. I do try to do things in a way that would please God, but I very rarely pray before making decisions like that, which seems counter-intuitive. If I'm willing to take the time to think about what would please God, why would I not just stop and ask Him to show me how to do that? So. Now my challenge to myself is to be more consistent with that. Lord, help me!
I feel much the same way. I do love reading the Bible this way and you are right, I am also seeing the stories I knew as a young person in a different light. It is so encouraging seeing how others are doing on this challenge.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving this challenge too. I feel the same as you and I love the way you put it! It IS so much more than just a bunch of stories about various people's encounters with God!
ReplyDeleteI am loving this challenge as well! It all makes sense reading it this way! :)
ReplyDeletePraying for ya!
God Bless!