Last Saturday, we had our Fall Craft Fair, which was a success. We were so thankful for the donations we received and for those that came to our church that day for the event. I am in the process of working on an online photo album that I can email around with all of the items that were left at the end of the day (over 150 items!) and we're hoping that will further add to our sale's total. (If you're interested in seeing the handmade craft still available - or sending a financial donation - please contact me at bringhomeourbaby{at}gmail{dot}com.) After all the hype and the talking I did about having the sale, I wish I could spend more time giving particular details, but my brain's kind of fried right now and it's just not going to happen. It was a great day and we were thankful to all of our friends and family who helped make it happen. A HUGE shout-out also goes to my dear friend Katherine, who was instrumental in really helping organize, advertise, and bring to fruition our day. Thanks, sweet friend!
After all that work, I was planning on spending the week re-organizing our life and cleaning the house and getting the online album ready to go. However, I got a very sad phone call on Sunday evening from my sister-friend Sarah (remember she came to visit me over the summer?) that her father had unexpectedly passed away. In April, when Sweets' stepmother passed away, she and her husband dropped everything (including dropping off their twin daughters with their grandparents) and drove all the way to North Carolina for the funeral to be with my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, Sweets, and me. I knew there was no way I could let her go through this without at least an in-person hug from me and the knowledge that I would do the same for her in a heartbeat. So, Monday I waited for details and Tuesday I booked train tickets for Busy Bee and myself for Wednesday. We took the train all the way to Connecticut and were able to be there for the visitation and funeral on Thursday. We spent the evening with them, too.
On Friday, Busy Bee and I, who were staying with my best friend from high school and her family, spent the day visiting those friends, as well as taking a break for lunch to see Nickie and Jonathan, our best friends from our time at this duty station, who moved away over the summer and drove a few hours just to have a little visit with us.
We were on the train home all day yesterday and got Busy Bee to bed finally about 11:00 last night. He was a total champ, and I got so many compliments on him on both train rides, but let me tell you: it was hard work keeping that kid as cheery as he was the whole way. I don't mean to get up on my soapbox here (okay, maybe I do just a little bit), but sometimes I feel like I don't get enough credit for his behavior, simply because he's such a happy-go-lucky, sweet-natured boy by personality. Granted, he's generally a pleasure to be around, but he's still a two year old boy! I am constantly working to shape his environment in ways that will allow him to easily comply with what I'm asking for, while still allowing him to make his own choices. I want him to stay happy, but I know how important it is for him to learn obedience. For instance, yesterday I was constantly reminding him to be quiet, but I was also doing things like singing quietly in his ear, reading quiet books, and playing games that he could quietly play, too. I don't like to brag about myself, but I also get frustrated when I feel like I don't get the credit I deserve for the hard work I do to make him look like the angel that others label him as. [Disclaimer: The child is about the sweetest two year old boy known to man. I have to give him that. I often thank the Lord for his sweet personality and the way that he charms the pants off me. I don't want to take away from that. I just hate the idea that my hard work is brushed off as a "he's just an easy kid" concept. And I know that's a little immature of me. But there it is.]
Anyway, we're recovering from our trip, working on the finishing touches for the online album, and missing the friends we just said goodbye to. Oh, and I'm still training for my 10k! I signed up to run an official race in DC on the weekend I was slated to run the 10k. My sister has graciously agreed to let me sleep there the night before (since I'll be able to take the Metro in from their house) and also to watch Busy Bee while I run, since Sweets has concerts all that weekend. I'm proud to report that I actually ran what I was scheduled to run while I was gone (although I did miss yesterday's run because we were on the train all day).
I've got a little bit more of an update from our adoption agency then I think I've written about lately, but I'm going to save that for tomorrow (hopefully!) and take a little bit of a break before Busy Bee wakes up from his nap. Happy Sunday!
Just so you know, you have taught me SOOOOO much in regards to creating, developing, and raising a happy and obedient little boy. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you deserve some credit! Yes, we're all born with a definite personality, but it is also shaped by our upbringing and surroundings. So, way to go mama! And thank you for being such a great teacher! :)
ReplyDeleteI also completely understand a need for a little credit. When I had to take J for some tests on Wednesday, the morning turned out to be a lot longer and stressful than anticipated. The first attempt to get a sample did not work, so we had to hang out for almost 2 hours, fill the boy up on liquids, and then do the procedure again. It made me cry when the nurse told me that I was doing an awesome job and that she appreciated all that I did while waiting to do the procedure again. It was great to hear that from someone on the outside! J did awesome for those couple of hours, but a lot of it came from my hard work to provide an environment in which he could be good, sweet, learning, and obedient. Shoowee. Praise God for placing observant people around when we need them! :)
I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I'm glad you were able to go and be with her.
ReplyDeleteAnd isn't it annoying that when a kid is misbehaving, the parents get all the blame, but when he is a perfect angel, the kid gets all the credit??