Thursday, November 4, 2010

Is that me?

"Humility is an essential element in the pursuit to be a virtuous woman.  The Hebrew work for humility is anavah, which mean "modesty, gentleness, and meekness."  Displaying a spirit of humility comes naturally to someone who is in the habit of showing awe and reverence to God.

Someone who is humble understands that the only good in them comes from the grace of God.  They are grateful for each day that God grants them and view it as a privilege that He place them in the world for such a time as this.  They realize that as long as they live, they have more to learn.  They extend grace and mercy to others because they realize the value of God's grace and mercy in their own lives.  They are deeply dependent on God's Word, and prayer is a part of their every day lives."   (Vickie Courtney, The Virtuous Woman: Shattering the Superwoman Myth  p.91.)

My devotions today make me ask myself how close I am to this...and make me cringe at the answer.  On the other hand, it makes me think of my grandma in particular and how I see this so clearly in her life.  I want to be just like her when I grow up.  Seriously. 


1 comment:

  1. We're studying these very things in Php/Eph and it makes me think the same things. With God's grace I pray to improve in this area. Thinking of you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete