1. We celebrated Levi's 2nd birthday at the end of February and March 20th we celebrated Homecoming Day. It is really hard to believe that he is two, but somehow even harder to believe that has been a member of our family for two years. In some ways it feels like I can't remember life without him. In some ways it feels like I so clearly remember waiting and waiting for him to come home, and the day that, finally, he did. I get all nostalgic and emotional when I think about two years ago. What an intense, crazy, exhilarating, and terrifying (just being honest, folks!) time that was. We said back then, "if we can just make it through the first year or two, we'll be golden!" And now, here we are. God is so, so faithful.
2. We continue to strategize about how best to have me finish my degree. Come the end of this semester, I'll only have one more class left that I can do online. So, I'll be in class on campus in the fall. I'm super excited about it, but it's been quite an ordeal to try and figure out when and how that will work, and what kind of child care we'll need and for how long each day/week. It's made more difficult, obviously, by the fact that class schedules for the fall and spring aren't posted yet and won't be for some time. So, we're basing things off how they were this year, for a rough estimate, and hoping they will be close to the same for the 2014-15 school year. BUT, despite the frustrations of wanting to be able to plan things out, I am SUPER excited about the fact that, this time next year and Lord willing, I'll be finishing up my degree and I will be getting ready to sit for a personal trainer certification exam, so that I can, hopefully, start working (very) part time. Mama's getting her turn, people!
3. Job/Army issues for Daniel continue to surprise us and remind us of our need to trust fully in God, who has complete control over it all. I can't say much more at this point, other than things are not as "stable" or "certain" as we had hoped they would be at this point. What can you do? That's the Army for you.
4. Despite long term (and sort-of-long term) uncertainty with Daniel's job, he is really enjoying his new position. We are having to get used to different things as part of the command team, as opposed to being enlisted with the band, but the job is a good fit for him and he is very content with the transition he's made. (We both are, really, even though it means we see him less than we'd like to these days.)
5. We've started to make some very sweet friends here. I am encouraged and happy that my calendar is often more full than I'd been used to, and even when we get a little extra busy, it is almost always with good and happy things. Regardless of how you feel about central Texas, if you have friends wherever you are, it can be a good and happy place!
6. I finished my first official race! I competed in a 10K last Saturday and I really enjoyed myself. I'm nowhere as fast as I'd hoped to be at this point, but I was able to get out and do reasonably well. It was a fun morning and I'm so glad that I did it. My next fitness goals won't have as much to do with distance running (if you call 6 miles "distance running"), as with overall fitness and conditioning. I'm getting ready for being in the gym in class this fall!
7. Levi continues to improve since his surgery. The recovery was super short and he was back to himself very quickly. Since then, though, it seems his hearing has clarified and he is much, much more talkative. We've had a few sessions of speech therapy since then, as well, and I am happy with all the progress I'm seeing in him. I think the best part about it is that he is learning that he can communicate effectively with words, and is having to be prompted less and less to "ask nicely" or to tell me what he wants. He was so used to having to whine or cry or figure out some other way to communicate a need or desire and it's really great to have him come over to me and just say, "Help! Choo choo!" when he can't reach a train under the couch or "More water, please" when he's thirsty. Love watching this transformation taking place.
And that's all I have time for today! Hopefully, I'll have a chance to do this again soon!
So glad to hear the updates! I am impressed with your race, ma'am. That's awesome! And it's a comfort to hear Levi is doing so well after his surgery. Yay! And last, Caroline looks so much older in the pic on your header. They are all so cute. :)
ReplyDelete