Thursday, May 31, 2012

Another phone call!?

Before I launch into this, let's do a little recap, just for those who might have missed something.  In September of 2009, Lucas turned one year old and we started thinking about Baby 2.  At that point, we decided to pursue adoption for our Baby 2.  We did our paperwork slowly and were home study approved in June of 2010.  We waited for The Phone Call until March 19, 2012, telling us that, literally out of the blue, we could bring home our son the very next day.  During that wait, we sought God's will for our lives in a variety of ways and situations.  As our wait approached the two year mark, we started to feel God calling us to "let go" of our desire for Baby 2 to be adopted and our plans of timing and allow Him to create our family the way He wanted it.  When we did that, we got pregnant very quickly.  In fact, we got a positive pregnancy test on March 18, 2012.  We were excited and nervous, but knew that if God wanted our second child to be biological, His will was what we wanted.  So, on March 19 (a Monday), I called the agency to talk to our social worker and let her know about our pregnancy test.  She said normally they wouldn't show our profile until after the baby was born, but that she could talk to the director of the agency about possibly showing our profile during the first trimester, since at that point, I was only about 4 weeks along, and it being so early in the pregnancy, and us moving this summer, all those circumstances were such that we were really hoping for placement before we left here.  That afternoon, she called me back.  I think it was the first time in two years that I saw the Bethany phone number on my phone and I didn't think, "Maybe it's our baby!!"  And, while still digesting the news that I was pregnant, I heard the words, "How would you like to bring him home tomorrow?!?"  Shock.  Awe.  Amazement.  Sheer joy.  Sheer terror.  All of that.

We did bring Levi Emry home on March 20, 2012.  (FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!) We praised the Lord for His goodness to us, and remarked that after such a long "winter" in our family, our family was finally blooming on the first day of spring this year.

And then ensued 12 weeks of exhaustion and happiness and tears and processing and visitors and morning sickness and formula bottles and a husband who never gave up on caring for me or our kids or our home and friends who were patient and loving and helpful and a church who embraced our new son with joy and gladness.  And more morning sickness.  *grin*  And then, finally, starting to feel better and the second trimester!

It's been an interesting road for me of digesting what's in store for us this year, at least that we know about or can expect:  March - Baby 2.  End of June - Move to CO and start over.  September - Firstborn starts preschool (Lord willing!).  November - Baby 3.  Truly, it's a lot to take in.  And, slowly but surely, God has been leading me through the process and showing me all the ways that His plan is so, so, so good.  I'm truly getting excited for the insanity of this year.

And then.

Yesterday, my phone rang.  It was the adoption agency's phone number.  I hadn't expected a call, but we're going through a few things for transitioning over to the "care" of the Colorado office, so I thought that must be what it was about.  This is what I heard instead:

Rebekah:  Hey, Melissa!  Are you in a place that you can talk for a minute?
Me:  I'm in the car, but I can pull over.
R:  That's probably a good idea.  It's nothing bad, but you'll probably be glad you did.
Me:  (Pulled over) Okay, go ahead.
R:  Levi's birthmom called the agency.  She has expressed interest in placing her older son for adoption, as well.  And her first choice is that he be placed with his biological half brother. 
Me:  (Silent.  Just stunned.)
R:  All of this has been via phone so far, so we don't know how serious she is, but we're supposed to meet with her Friday morning to discuss things, and we'd like to be able to tell her at that point if your family is even open to having that happen.  Normally, we'd approach you first anyway, even if she hadn't requested your family, since it is usually best to have biological siblings placed together.  But, obviously, you have a lot going on this year, and we understand if you're not open to it.

The conversation continued from there with more details about what we'd have to expect and the costs and things like that.  It was a good thing she had so much to tell me, because I was seriously speechless for a while.  I do remember at one point just laughing out loud and saying to her, "So, you're asking me if we want to go from a family of three to a family of six in the span of 9 months!?!?"  It sounds preposterous.  And, yet, it sounds like something God might be asking us to do. 

This other little guy just turned 2 years old.  We'd need about $10,000 over all and a minivan to even make it feasible. 

We've been praying fervently since the phone call yesterday (I definitely didn't sleep much last night!).  We honestly feel sort of terrified by the idea, but we also think we need to be open to it.  We have some serious needs and huge prayer requests.  But we also want to be able and willing to obey and walk through those (gigantic, terrifying) doors, should God miraculously open them.  So, the first step, I think, is making our needs known.  If others feel called to help, and doors start opening, we'll follow where the Lord leads.  So, be praying with us.  Let's see what God will do!



6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's great. Such exciting news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will hold you all in my prayers as you discern what God's will is for your rapidly growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep your family in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. I am nearly speechless, too. WOW. AND a MOVE. Praying for you seriously!!! x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think your story could get any crazier! This is "awesome," emphasis on the awe. I'll be praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God equips those whom he calls. Sounds trite..but you know it's so. And he does more than we can imagine. Praying for wisdom and peace.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete