Friday, June 17, 2011

Therapy

Lucas and I have been in Maine for most of the week now.  It's so good to be in my parents' house again.  Other than when Daniel was in BCT and AIT, I never actually lived here (Daniel and I got engaged a few months after they moved here, and we both lived on campus at UConn at that time), but it still feels like home to me.  And, ironically, I suppose it should.  My parents have lived here, in this house, longer than they ever have lived anywhere else, in the whole course of their marriage and our family.  We've had more Christmases in this house than any other, I think.  Either way, being here is like therapy.  It's therapeutic to watch Lucas talk to his grandpa and grandma in person, instead of via Skype (though we do love Skype when in-person conversations aren't possible!).  He can play with them - and the cars and trucks and fire engines that my brother played with as a child.  We haven't done much of anything as far as "vacation" or sight seeing goes, but being here, living life with them - dishes and laundry and bath time and meals is precious.  I often wonder about my friends who live close to their parents.  Do they understand and appreciate the blessing right there in front of them?  That intergenerational relationship is precious and priceless.  Sharing my own son with my parents is something I can't imagine ever getting old. 

Anyway.  Enough of that mush.  *grin*  While here, I've already finished one novel.  (Seriously, you might not understand what a huge deal that is.  I rarely get the chance to read for pleasure.  And finishing a 400 page book in right under a week?  I can't tell you the last time that happened. )  Thankfully, I brought a second - just in case - and I'm excited to actually get to read it!  We've still got over a week here!!

Also on the agenda, in fact, today, my mom and I are going to do some sewing.  When Lucas was an infant, we got tons of blankets as gifts.  His favorite have ended up being three that have one very soft side and one satin-y side with satin-y binding around them.  I've been looking everywhere for some similar to snag for Baby 2, and have had no success finding them anywhere.  So, we decided to make some instead.  We're going to make two boy blankets and two girl blankets, since we don't know which we'll need yet.  One will be a flannel for the soft fabric and one will be a fleece.  The flannels are light blue and light pink with white stars.  The boy fleece pattern is red with trucks and tractors and construction equipment.  The girl fleece is a cute green with blue and yellow and white and purple ladybug type bugs, which I'm calling love bugs.  I'll post pictures later.  We got enough fabric to make one of the red fleece tractor blankets for Lucas, too, at Mom's request.  She wants to make him one, too. 

In other news, I went running with my brother on Wednesday.  I think we did about 3 miles?  I was glad to get back out - and to have a chance to run on some trails, conveniently located essentially in my parents' back yard.  Unfortunately, I had to go much slower than I would have liked.  I was still pretty sore from Sunday's race.  I'm giving myself some grace, though, and let myself rest again yesterday.  I'm going to be exercising in some form today and tomorrow I'll try to do another longer run to get back into my training.  I found a 10 mile trail race that's happening at the very same park I just ran on Sunday in October.  I think I'm going to do it.  Yes!

Lastly for this post, I've been thinking about our profile a lot lately, and wondering if I should update it.  Since we've been waiting a year, I'm wondering if at our review it would be a good time to create a new one/update the one we did last year.  My reasoning is that Lucas has grown and changed a lot during the last year, but I also feel like a different person.  This process has grown and changed Daniel and me, too.  Also...during this past year, I have been taking pictures in a different way, partly because of my new camera, and partly because I've been thinking about how I'd want to capture our family, if we should ever want anyone to see who we are and how we live.  I guess it's just a byproduct of making the profile the first time around.    Anybody want to weigh in on that?  Is it worth it to do it over again?  I'm wondering about that as a project for while I'm here and feeling slightly drawn to doing it, but I can't decide if that's like saying that I need to do something else and that the waiting is taking too long and I don't trust God to bring our baby home by just leaving things alone.  Hmm.  What to do?


4 comments:

  1. Amen to the time with family! It is the thing I miss most though none of my family lives near each other. So, I suppose it's just a dream of mine--to have Claire near her family.

    If it's something you have time for and heart for, I say go for the update/revision. I imagine it will do you good as a form of reflection and may help to give potential viewers a better view of y'all.

    Hugs,

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think updating your profile means that you don't trust God. A lot changes in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are days I am so jealous of my sister who is living with my parents right now. Her two kids get the benefits of co-parenting and it's hard on us when we don't have that kind of support. But we keep on going on! Profile update sounds good...maybe that will be therapeutic for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been waiting 9 months now and I am changing our profile books around adding new pics, re-wording things. I think after you've been in this process you change how you think about things so it is natural to want to reflect that in your profile. Plus I had better pictures of myself and when I find some I like I go for it! lol That doesn't mean we don't trust God. Faith never denies reality, faith changes reality.

    ReplyDelete