Friday, May 10, 2013

One little detail

I forgot to mention something in my post yesterday, so I'm grabbing a moment post-lunch, pre-nap, to write it out.  Those of you in the Army will not be too surprised by this, but our Army plans have changed.  The timeline will be the same for Daniel's Warrant Officer school, but our first assignment has been changed from Fort Sam Houston to....wait for it...Fort Hood.  Wah wah!  We were so excited about San Antonio and to change our mindset from San Antonio to Killeen is, well, a significant shift.  True, it's still Texas and only a few hours away from where we were expecting to go, but it's a BIG difference in my mind. 

Mostly, it's because San Antonio has it's own identity apart from the Army community, which is something I appreciate greatly about Colorado Springs.  We like to be able to "get away" from Army and Daniel's work when we can.  Killeen is pretty much all about Fort Hood.  Plus, with the BAH (housing allowance) we'll get there it seems that living on post makes the most sense, which is just another way that we'll be "all Army" while we're there. 

I remind myself that we'll still only be about an hour away from Austin where my aunt and her husband and my cousin live, and we're actually going to be closer now to Daniel's oldest brother and his family who live outside of Dallas.  I also remind myself that this could still change again, and even if it doesn't, as with all assignments, this will be a temporary phase in our life. 

So, fellow Army wives, have you been stationed at Fort Hood?  Can you tell me something you LIKED about being there?? *grin*



2 comments:

  1. I still am just jealous that you guys get so much advance notice of where you'll be going next! (But I'm sorry that it changed - I am sure there will still be lots to like). Hugs! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So close, yet so far! everyone I know who has been at Hood has loved it precisely because it is a tiny community, which makes for a very close-knit one.

    ReplyDelete