Friday, September 21, 2012

Milestones

I won't say that I'm a bad mom, but I am definitely more of a busy mom than I've been before.  Between preschool mornings that require we keep a certain schedule and taking care of two kids instead of one (and, frankly, myself!), I haven't had as much time for blogging as I would probably like.  But there are some things that should be recorded!

First, yesterday was September 20.  (Duh.)  That means we've officially had Levi for six months and we can begin the process to finalize his adoption!  Hooray!  We have an attorney in Virginia (recommended by our social worker because of her experience doing out of state finalizations) who will be submitting things on our behalf.  I'm not sure how long it will take to get a court date, but I am hopeful that all of this will be taken care of before the end of this calendar year.  We will then be able to get Levi's birth certificate (our names will be on it) and a social security number, etc., for him.  I'm praying all of it goes smoothly, because I've heard some stories from others who have had a difficult time getting all of these things worked out.

Also this week, Tuesday to be exact, my sweet Lucas turned FOUR.  I know.  I've been thinking about this birthday a lot leading up to it, particularly because the last time I was pregnant (my pregnancy with Lucas) we were watching the summer Olympics and waiting for a presidential election to occur.  It's been interesting to do those things again, pregnant again, this year.  So I've been thinking a lot lately about what four years ago was like, and not just because the presidential candidates keep asking us to think about how well off we were (or weren't) back then.

For his first three years, I wrote Lucas a birthday letter on his birthday.  Well, that didn't happen this year, but I want to keep up the tradition of birthday letters to my kids.  I enjoyed going back to the other letters I wrote him and reading what he was doing and how I was feeling about parenting at those milestones.  So, despite it being a few days late (as they probably ALL will be from now on...), here's my letter to Lucas:

Dearest Lucas,

You're FOUR!  It's been quite a wait for this birthday.  You've been planning all the things you're going to do "when I'm four" for several months now.  Even since you've started preschool, the little things that have made you nervous or uncomfortable, you confidently say won't bother you anymore "when I'm four."  When I came into your bedroom the morning of your birthday (you were already awake and playing with your stuffed animal friends on your bed) I started singing "Happy Birthday" to you.  You were excited that it was finally your birthday, but rather dismayed to find that your body didn't really look any bigger than it had the night before.  You lamented to me, "Mama, I can't be four yet!  I'm not so much bigger yet!"  I explained that you have been growing all year since turning three to be the big four year old you are now, and that every day you'll grow a little bit more, so that when you turn five, you'll be even bigger.  You didn't seem overly thrilled about the gradual process of things, but accepted that explanation.

These days, you are loving puzzles, books, your trains, your cars, and your little brother.  I am loving hearing you play by yourself these days.  When you go off to play cars or trains while I'm giving Levi a bottle I hear all sorts of stories coming from the playroom.  You make up all sorts of scenarios and sometimes come to tell me about them, in very serious tones.  The other day it was something like this:  "Mama, this is Mike.  He is the husband.  This is Susan.  She is the wife.  They are frustrated with each other because Mike wants to go over here, but Susan doesn't want to go.  They have to talk about it."  I do my best not to laugh when you tell me things like that, because you're very serious about it, but it makes me giggle on the inside to hear you talking so seriously.  Thankfully, usually your scenarios are happy ones, or at least have happy resolutions involving compromise.  You're the cutest.

One not-so-cute thing about your being four, and a "big boy" is that you have very clear ideas about what you like and want to do and what you do not.  You're so smart and verbal, that you like to try to tell Papa and me why our requests aren't always the best things for you.  Sometimes we talk about it, but lots of times we have to remind you that we're the Mama and Papa and that you're the boy and that you need to just obey the first time.  Lots of times, you don't like to hear that.  We're working through it, though, and it's a good reminder for me, too, that sometimes I just need to obey God the first time, just like you need to obey us the first time.

You are having fun at preschool.  When I ask you what your favorite part of the day is, you always say, "Recess!"  or  " Playing on the playground!" I know you like the art projects and stories and other things, too, but I can't really blame you for liking to play on the playground so much.   Right now the only part you really don't like is Music class.  It's funny to me that this is true, because you love music so much.  You're always singing and humming while you play (sometimes KLOVE songs, sometimes Raffi, sometimes your own creations), but apparently there is something about music class at preschool that bothers you as much as singing with the big group of Sunday School classes used to bother you before.  We're trying to help your teachers figure out just what it is that bothers you so much.

You are very excited about Levi and can't wait for Caroline to come to our family, too.  You love to help take care of Levi and you like to make him laugh when you can.  And sometimes you lift up my shirt and rub my tummy and give it kisses saying (in a high, squeaky voice), "Hi, Caroline!  I'm your big brother!  I love you!"  On days when I get overwhelmed thinking about having three little kids in our house, it makes me happy that you are such a good and sweet big brother.  I know that it will be a lot of transition for you this year - first Levi, then moving, then preschool, then Caroline - but you are handling it all so well, and you continue to be so affectionate with us and with Levi.  I know you will be the same way with Caroline, too. 

Recently, we found a book at the library called Snow is My Favorite and My Best, and we really think it's a cute book.  We've started using that phrase for lots of other things, too, like, "Ice cream is my favorite and my best!"   But we also really like to say, " YOU are my favorite and my best" to each other.  We'll say, "Papa is my favorite and my best papa."  and "Levi is my favorite and my best Levi."

You, sweet, precious Lucas, are my favorite and my best Lucas in the whole wide world.  I love you more than you can imagine.

Love,
Mama



3 comments:

  1. So sweet. Four is a WONDERFUL age, and I was just thinking about 6 months for Levi being home. . . we still have his adoption announcement on our fridge! Love you guys! (And did I mention my brother is moving to DENVER???!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday BIG GUY! Four is definitely a GREAT age. 3 year old opinions are hard, but they get a little easier at four. Now we're dealing with sas! Ha! I love Lucas' conversations. SO cute. And yay for 6 months with Levi. Has it really been that long? Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete