Levi has been home with us for almost two weeks now. He will be five weeks old this week. So, far, he's been a very laid back baby. He cries when he's hungry and when we give him a bath. He also cries when we're changing him most times, because he doesn't like to be cold. Other than that, he hasn't cried much at all.
He sleeps at night quite well for a month old baby. Depending on when his last feeding is (he's still kind of on a cyclical schedule and not on anything super predictable at this point), he's been waking up once or twice in the night to eat and almost every night sleeps well in between those feedings. He usually wakes up to eat again around 6 or 7, but falls right back to sleep after that one usually, too.
He has so much dark, curly, soft hair. That's one thing that EVERYBODY comments on. I love his hair.
He seems to like the swing and the bouncy seat for short periods of time, but gets sick of them pretty quickly at this stage. He likes being worn in the baby carrier and falls asleep when he's in there. He rides in the car well, though he's not usually crazy about being put in the car seat and having to wait to go somewhere.
He's still not smiling, and that's one thing I can't WAIT to see. I'm so glad to have Levi home, but I'm remembering just how hard the first few months of parenting can be, having one so dependent on you for every minute of the day, while not really getting to KNOW that person much because it's really too early to see much personality. (He does sometimes smile while he's dreaming, and it's pretty much the cutest thing ever.)
Lucas has been doing pretty well with the transition. He LOVES Levi, and talks to him in such a cute way. He uses a high squeaky voice to talk to his brother and just tells him he loves him and he's his big brother and things like that. So cute. The trouble we've seen more coming out, is Lucas' lack of ability to hold himself together in other "normal" situations. "Bedtime" and "nap time" have suddenly become words that produce much weeping and gnashing of teeth, and Lucas has been having a little bit harder time obeying the first time we ask him to do something. I have to wonder if it's because we're having to do a lot more discussing and compromising on our schedule right now between Daniel and me and it seems that Lucas has picked up on that and wants to make compromises of his own.
The transition for me hasn't been easy some days. Some days I feel much more calm, but other days I'm pretty weepy and emotional and the year we have ahead of us stares me in the face in one giant mass. Other days, I can take it one day/one nap at a time, and I'm much more at peace with everything. But, less than two weeks in, I'll say that we're doing quite well, we're loving our new addition, and we're still in awe that after all that time waiting, we're finally, finally able to do the hard work of raising another child.
Yay! I love hearing more about him. He seems like such a sweet baby. And yes -- for less than two weeks in, I'd say you are handling the transition beautifully!
ReplyDeleteSounds like everyone is settling in. So, so happy for you! :)
ReplyDelete