(This post is a few days late. Posting at all is weeks "late." What can I say? We're busy.)
Dear Lucas,
I am really having a hard time coming to terms with you being six years old. It seems like I was just getting used to you being five, just like I was just getting used to you being in PreK. And now you're in Kindergarten (and totally rocking it) and SIX. Six!!!
You are such a cool kid. You are kind (almost all the time) to your little brother and sister and are so proud of them and encouraging to them. You are learning all sorts of things. You are getting really good at putting Lego together and having a lot of fun building with the new things you got for your birthday. You are already so good at reading and right before we went to visit Maine, your teacher told me she didn't have books hard enough for you in her classroom and she was going to have to get harder books! I still haven't told her that she should just pull out Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Sideways Stories from Wayside School to see how well you really read. I was worried at first that Kindergarten would be too easy for you, but I am really starting to like that you're going to have lots of good practice writing and playing and learning this year, and that you get to be the big kid and show the other kids in your class how to be kind and friendly and helpful to each other.
You love to read books about animals and science and you are always wanting to tell me something else about what you have learned. Sometimes I have to remind myself to really listen to what you are saying, because you have so much to say. I always want to listen to you and I always want to make you feel like what you are saying is important. I want you to know that you are smart and interesting. Sometimes it's hard for me to focus on reminding you of that and helping you see that when Levi is singing "Go, go, Thomas!" at the top of his lungs and Caroline is, yet again, asking to come "UP!" But even when I'm doing a bad job of showing you how interested I am, you always keep trying and waiting and trying and waiting for your turn. I am so thankful you haven't yet given up on me. I think this year, the babies are doing a better job of listening and I will be able to do a better job of listening, too. Pretty soon, I think you are going to be teaching the babies all the things you are learning.
This year for your birthday, instead of a party or big gathering, you've decided that you really want to see a movie with your good pal, Zachary. Today you and I are going with him and his mommy to have lunch at a restaurant (you picked Which Wich) and to see a movie after lunch. We still have over an hour before we have to go, and you already have your shoes on and tied. You are so excited to have a "big kid" adventure and I am very happy and excited to get to spend some time with you, just moms and big boys. I think we are going to laugh a lot, because you and Zachary can be pretty silly together.
Lucas, you amaze me every single day. You are gracious and forgiving and tenderhearted. You are resilient and particular and determined. You are loyal and conscientious and fun. I had no idea what you would look like or be like six years ago, when I looked down at you sleeping in my arms, but I couldn't be more proud of you today. I love you, sweet pea. I love you so!
Love,
Mama
Happy Birthday, Lucas!
ReplyDelete